From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peggy
Skycraft
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:00 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Backing up fabric

I am doing hand marbled silks for a client who is to make very large
boxes for 17 photo portfolios. This fabric must be backed to make
assembly sensible. I am  not doing this but must recommend what is to
be done. I have backed fabric by coating paper with PVA, drying that,
then dampening silk, rolling it in a towel to remove excess water,
and then smoothing it on the PVA paper, and ironing it to release
moisture and set the bond. I also have used "Stitch Witchery" fusible
webbing to make such a bond to paper.

This project involves large pieces, 35 x 42" and needs a lightweight
paper or non-woven poly fabric or similar material. I have seen
bonded book cloth with what looks like a non woven backing. What can
I use that is light but which will resist the PVA when the project is
glued up?

Peggy Skycraft
26395 S. Morgan Rd.
Estacada, OR 97023