[BKARTS] SoCal APHA Book Club #4 Re-scheduled

Southern California Chapter, American Printing History Association
Book Club #4 Gathering
November 24, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.

Please note that we have re-scheduled the Book Club event that was going to be held November 3.

We are pleased to announce the fourth in our series of APHA Book Club conversations, which will be held on Monday, November 24 at 7:00 p.m. in the evening. The book which gives us a structure for the meetings is Frederick G. Kilgour’s The Evolution of the Book, which you can find used on Amazon for about $30.

We have discussed the first six chapters in Kilgour on the Dynamics of the Book, Incunables on Clay, Papyrus Rolls, The Greco-Roman World, the Codex 100-700 and Islam, 622-1300. The next discussion will be on Chapter 7: Western Christendom, 600-1400. This chapter covers hand-written medieval books, the precursor to the Gutenberg revolution that Kilgore calls a punctuated equilibrium. We will discuss Gutenberg and early printed books, incunables, at the next Book Club meeting and at the Annual General Meeting on December 6 at the Clark Library.

We will meet at Kitty Maryatt’s studio in Playa Vista. If you haven’t attended any of the Book Club meetings, you are still entirely welcome. And if you cannot find time to read Kilgour, you will still find illuminating conversations at our friendly gathering.

We have planned a series of visits to collections which house artifacts which we are discussing at the Book Club. We’ve seen cuneiform tablets at USC and Islamic books and art at LACMA and shown the films Helvetica and Breaking the Mayan Code so far. Please look for the next announcement of other upcoming visits.

RSVP by November 21 to Richenda Brim
rbrim@xxxxxxxxx

Address:
Two Hands Press
5350 Playa Vista Drive #12
Playa Vista, CA 90094
(310) 439-2135
Park in guest parking next to the studio or on the street

Directions:
From the 405 freeway going south, take the Jefferson exit and turn right (west) toward the beach. Travel on Jefferson for about two miles. Turn right (north) onto Playa Vista Drive. Drive a block to the stop sign. Park on the street or in the guest parking at the right. The studio is the townhouse on the north corner of the building to the right of the stop sign. I’ll put up a flag on the patio in front to identify the place.

From Lincoln Blvd., turn onto Jefferson going east. Turn left on the next street (north), Playa Vista Drive. Drive a block to the stop sign. Park on the street or in the guest parking at the right. The studio is the townhouse on the north corner of the building to the right of the stop sign.