Re: [BKARTS] Brass Die

Here's another piece of my concern, which has to do with the size of the die. I've used the standard mag dies (deeply etched) for a number of projects, but have had difficulty gaining a crisp impression with larger dies, say 4"x6" and up. Some of this is undoubtedly related to how much pressure is needed (I have a hand-operated Kensol) and getting that pressure perfectly even at all corners. Invariably, it seems like I have to shim the die.
My impression was (no pun intended) that a die with sharper edges would take a little less pressure and that without the shallow bevels I'd get a crisper gold impression in softer leathers.
I do agree that glaire and leaf would probably help, as there's no "up" pressure from the carrier to spread gold to the sides. How would you, Bill, handle the glairing of a large area attached to the stamping bed? (I'm familiar with the force, but would be concerned about alignment issues... maybe my force needs reinforcing...) (And what kind of glaire would you use?)
Bob Roberts

-- William Minter <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob,
I understand your concern about the bevel but I wonder if there is
that great a difference to justify the added cost.
But first, I wonder if you have previously ordered a standard(?)
"letterpress die", or a "deep etch die"? Every time I order a die I
always ask for --- I forget the measurement, I think it is 16 pt.?
--- 16 pt. deep etch die to be used for hot stamping.
As to the bevel, I would be very interested in hearing what others
have experienced. Also, maybe a good side-by-side comparison is
needed to determine what is needed for our work --- assuming that we
are only stamping one or two covers. I am even thinking that a simple
line could be made in both a mag die and a brass die, that both could
be mounted on the same block and then stamped at the same time.
Another consideration for the best stamping would be to use glair and
gold leaf, instead of gold foil, for hot stamping on the leather.
Another interesting discussion. Hope others have some more comments.
Bill Minter

On Nov 5, 2008, at 3:27 PM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Bill,
> Good question.
> The shallow bevel of acid-etched dies seems inferior to the sharper
> walls of cut brass, which wouldn't matter much on cloth but bothers
> me on softer leather and deep impressions. Maybe I'm being too
> persnickety. Any thoughts on this?
>

> Bob Roberts
> The Gilded Leaf
> www.gildedleafbindery.com
>
> -- William Minter <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob,
> Are you sure that you need brass? --- brass is very expensive. It is
> my understanding that the current magnesium dies that are made can
> stand up to hundreds, if not at least a thousand stamping impressions
> --- although I have never needed that many impressions.
> Bill Minter
>

> On Nov 5, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Wiering Books wrote:
>
>> Highly recommended:
>>
>> http://www.owossographic.com/
>>
>> Vernon Wiering
>> On Nov 5, 2008, at 9:26 AM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Hi, All.
>>> Can anyone recommend an engraver of brass stamping dies here in
>>> the states? I need a quick turnaround on some artwork.
>>>
>>> Bob Roberts
>>> The Gilded Leaf

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695