Re: [BKARTS] Brass Die

Bob,
In my opinion, it is vitally important to get the "make-ready" correct. But first, the stamping head of the Kensol (I have one as well) must be mechanically - perfectly parallel to the bed before getting started. Then after the work is attached to the Force, the blind impression must be checked to see if there is any need for make- ready --- one needs to be aware of variations in the thickness of the board, variations in the leather, and whether the turn-ins are a factor. Fortunately, the Force allows you to remove the work so that you can slid bits of paper here and there in order to obtain a good, "near-perfect" blind impression --- there are tricks to the whole process. I would again suggest that everything must be near perfect otherwise there is a good possibility of getting too much pressure in one area or another.
As to glaire, I would use egg glaire, although the shellac glaires should work just as well.
However, you say: "...glairing of a large area attached to the stamping bed." I do not understand. The glaire should be painted into the blind impression that is in the leather, or you could "glaire all-over" --- note the Force, with the work, is not in the press, but out on your workbench where everything is easily accessible.
As to alignment: The Force allows for precise alignment in the Kensol, provided the Force is properly made, and that the work is securely attached.
Good Luck,
Bill

On Nov 5, 2008, at 6:09 PM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Here's another piece of my concern, which has to do with the size of the die. I've used the standard mag dies (deeply etched) for a number of projects, but have had difficulty gaining a crisp impression with larger dies, say 4"x6" and up. Some of this is undoubtedly related to how much pressure is needed (I have a hand- operated Kensol) and getting that pressure perfectly even at all corners. Invariably, it seems like I have to shim the die.
My impression was (no pun intended) that a die with sharper edges would take a little less pressure and that without the shallow bevels I'd get a crisper gold impression in softer leathers.
I do agree that glaire and leaf would probably help, as there's no "up" pressure from the carrier to spread gold to the sides. How would you, Bill, handle the glairing of a large area attached to the stamping bed? (I'm familiar with the force, but would be concerned about alignment issues... maybe my force needs reinforcing...) (And what kind of glaire would you use?)
Bob Roberts

******************************

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax:   814-793-4045
Email:    wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

***********************************************
See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information.
NOW ONLINE, The Bonefolder, Vol. 5, No. 1, Fall 2008 at
<http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>

[CoOL]

Search BookArts Archives

This page last changed: November 05, 2008