Re: [BKARTS] Online Color Chart?

One suggestion is to get a pms color book, and then you could at least tell the art department what pms colour your sample is closest too. They probably have a pms book already.

Martin

----- Original Message ----- From: "roroberts@xxxxxxxx" <roroberts@xxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: Online Color Chart?

Well... That seems to settle that.
It's hard trying to communicate with corporate art department types that we can't just adjust the RGB values of our leather or even guarantee that it'll be the same exact shade by the time we're done tooling, polishing, etc. It's pretty cool for an art department to have so much control over a manufactured product, but the old days of "Green, brown, or blue?" were probably simpler for the working binder.

Bob

-- Beth Lee <callibeth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob,

Here's the good news: Taking my advice will save you a lot of time.

Here's the bad news (and my advice): Give up on the idea of getting color to
display accurately across the Internet. It's currently nearly impossible --
even more impossible than, say, getting a typeface size to display
consistently online across all browsers and operating systems.

Even if you spend a bunch of money calibrating your own scanner and monitor,
and even if you remember to use the correct color space when you create your
color images, you can't control the color that your potential customer will
see own their own monitor, unless they've also calibrated their monitor
(unlikely) and are viewing the image in the same color space.

Sad, but true.

Regards,

Beth Lee
Tallahassee, Florida
www.callibeth.com

-----Original Message----- From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of roroberts@xxxxxxxx Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 11:33 AM To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [BKARTS] Online Color Chart?

Hi again
Can anyone recommend an online color chart? I need to send leather "samples"
quickly, find that my scanner doesn't pick up color accurately enough, and
am looking for a solution.
Bob

                <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>