Re: [BKARTS] Kutrimmer

Hello,

The foot clamp is much more workable than a hand clamp (leaves both hands
free, more pressure), however, you want one clamp or the other to get good,
straight cuts.  Without a clamp, the materials may move as they are being
cut--thus resulting in a crooked cut, which is a major problem with
"regular" office paper trimmers.  I have used a floor model Kutrimmer for a
long time and it is great.  One blade has been quite sufficient for paper
and board even though it has not been professionally sharpened in a long
time.  I dress the blade with a stone from time to time and it continues to
cut paper and board without problems.

I recommend cutting paper in single sheets or a small number of sheets,
since larger stacks up paper seem to move around as it is being cut.  The
back gauge allows for cutting uniform pieces quite rapidly.

I know for a classroom this may not be appropriate, but several folks have
told me that the safety gauge is in the way and they would like to
remove--which Kutrimmer has made rather difficult on the newer floor models.
I imagine their lawyers have been involved in this design decision.  Mine is
old enough to not have a safety gauge which is just fine with me, and I
still have all of my fingers.

Good luck

John MacKrell
---