[BKARTS] processing skins

I was at a western craft leather show recently, geared towards makers of saddles, chaps, etc., and bought some beautiful tanned salmon skins. Not having a sound background in how skins are generally processed, I'm very curious as to how a material that I think of as having very little strength (I'm stuck thinking of the salmon skin on a dinner plate) can be transformed into something that looks so durable and leathery.

The vendor said that he works with a commercial fishery and the meat goes on to store shelves at Costco.

Thanks in advance for and info and insights.

all the best,
Roberta

Roberta Lavadour - Pendleton, OR
Mission Creek Press - Desultory Press