Re: [BKARTS] processing skins

Hi Roberta

I was at a western craft leather show recently, geared towards makers of saddles, chaps, etc., and bought some beautiful tanned salmon skins. Not having a sound background in how skins are generally processed, I'm very curious as to how a material that I think of as having very little strength (I'm stuck thinking of the salmon skin on a dinner plate) can be transformed into something that looks so durable and leathery.

As Peter noted, it's descaled and then tanned -- I've got a small piece of bright red salmon skin (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lasquetipress/3022025941/) and some perch as well (http://flickr.com/photos/lasquetipress/1800125489/).

The vendor said that he works with a commercial fishery and the meat goes on to store shelves at Costco.

Yes, that's what the woman I got the salmon from said as well. From the feel of it, it's chrome- not vegetable-tanned, and she used hers for covering small books (sorry, no link: unfortunately, she's not interested in computers).

Cheers
Linda