Re: [BKARTS] processing skins

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Roberta Lavadour
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:55 AM
 Not
having a sound background in how skins are generally processed, I'm very
curious as to how a material that I think of as having very little strength
(I'm stuck thinking of the salmon skin on a dinner plate) can be transformed
into something that looks so durable and leathery.

**There is tons of information on tanning fish skins on the Web. One
commercial site is here:
      http://www.sealeatherwear.com/fish-leather-tanning.php

Sharkskin has, of course, been used for a very long time for all sorts of
things - personal accessories, clothing, desk accessories, etc. (very
popular in the late 19th-early 20th Centuries, but still very much so.)
Leathers from eel, sturgeon, salmon, talapia, stingray and other large fish
are now being offered on the market. "Waste not want not" as Grandma used to
say....

Lee

Lee Kirk

The Prints & The Paper