Re: [BKARTS] Copyright Question

Charles LaFountain asked:

I'm not a lawyer, but I think the answer is clearly, "No copyrights are thus infringed."  Copyright is merely the (monopoly) right to control _publication_ of a text (photograph, art work, song, play, etc.).  In so far as publication involves creation of an object (a text "fixed in a medium") to be sold, copyright does not extend to control of the physical objects created and sold: as purchasers we have every right to tear pages out of a book as we read them, to destroy a book we hate, to toss a CD in the trash, to delete the song we downloaded --  or to sell a book we've acquired to a used book shop or give it to Goodwill (and possibly even take a tax deduction for doing so).

Copyright may be more complex when an "object" is not so clearly involved -- the right to perform a play, for example, or incorporate a song in one's stage repertoire, which is why these kinds of "things" are typically _licensed_ for commercial use. If you buy sheet music, on the other hand, you can do with it as you wish, including play or sing the music -- except publish the content for sale or use it for another commercial purpose.

Cordially --- Sid Huttner
The University of Iowa
<sid-huttner@xxxxxxxxx>