Re: [BKARTS] 1948 Plastic Comb Binding

Some years ago I had a request to repair a plastic spiral-bound address book from the early 60s. I ran into the same problem... the number of teeth was different. I sent the owner herself to local print shops did comb-binding, and one suggested buying a new spiral to accommodate the thickness of the book and to cut it into shorter lengths. After doing this, she told me that the book worked pretty nearly as it needed to. I didn't see it again, so I don't know how presentable it was or how it functioned. Seems to me, however, that it probably was okay. It certainly wasn't a valuable book, but she especially like the way it worked (had pockets, etc.) and so wanted to keep using it.

The only other suggestion I can make is to explore the possibility of making a narrow, sewn concertina and tipping the loose pages to it. Some mending would obviously be required, but the textblock would function more or less normally, and the original covers could be utilized as well. I did this once with a children's picture book in order to replace the completely destroyed plastic spiral and yet preserve the full pages. The pages were (oddly) in folios, so could be sewn to the concertina. When it was finished, the book was still fragile and obviously not something a child would play with, but it did allow the grandparent (owner) to read it with the child. It was, however, not a particularly budget-wise solution.

Carol
Eugene, OR
-------