Re: [BKARTS] Copyright Question

--- On Fri, 11/14/08, Huttner, Sidney F <sid-huttner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure the _place_ of "performance"
> matters, but rather the context.  I can certainly leave a
> theater humming the haunting theme, or sing as I walk, and I
> suspect I could rightfully sing it solo at a meeting of
> thousands if it is an expression of feeling and I'm not
> being paid to do so.

ASCAP makes a specific exception for music played in church....

As for signing to thousands -- nope. ASCAP defines a Public Performance:

"A public performance is one that occurs either in a public place or any place where people gather (other than a small circle of a family or its social acquaintances.) A public performance is also one that is transmitted to the public; for example, radio or television broadcasts, music-on-hold, cable television, and by the internet. Generally, those who publicly perform music obtain permission from the owner of the music or his representative."

Again, the exceptions are churches and some educational settings.

-- Don