Re: [BKARTS] Copyright

Just a query:  what if the binder takes an ordinary-unto-a-pretty book
and makes more of it?  Makes it an artists' book, where form and content
traipse or tango in some way that either enhances or diminishes the
original--and/or provides an additional or entirely new reading of the
work?

Might Melville sue, should I show Moby hit by sonar on my new leather
binding?

Tom Trusky, Director
Hemingway Western Studies Center and
Professor of English
Boise State University
1910 University Drive
Boise, ID  83725
USA
(208) 426-1999 tel
(208) 426-4373 fax
ttrusky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://english.boisestate.edu/ttrusky

>>> Richard Kegler <richard@xxxxxxx> 11/15/08 3:07 PM >>>
I tend to agree. There is no reproduction of copyrighted
work, just reselling. The rebinding is a "value-add" to
the work that has already been paid for. The additional
value is not the content or any alteration of it but
rather the binder's work. Think of it as an elaborate
repair job on a book that is not in need of repair. An
author would not receive additional royalties on a book
that is repaired. The thought of anyone even suggesting
litigating such a modification on grounds of copyright is
highly unlikely.

R Kegler

                 <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>