[BKARTS] Brittle Kizukishi

Does anyone know why a hinge of kizukishi, a Japanese repair tissue of
medium weight, would become brittle after being pasted onto ph neutral
paper with ph neutral wheat starch paste?

I was suprised that the tissue hinge was so frail and brittle when I tried
to work with the hinged piece.  It was  a little furled when I picked it
up a couple of weeks after doing the hinge, and when I tried to flatten
it, it broke in several places like--well--like totally brittle paper!
Something in the equation must be doubted.  One person suggested that
heavy paste could have this effect of embrittling the tissue.  I'd really
like to know if it's this risky to use paste that has thickened over the
course of the day, or if I should look for other causes.