[BKARTS] Molding pad?

A lot of my cased books feature either raised or recessed design elements on the covers, sometime flowing through the spine as well.

The designs are created by either raised / recessed designs cut out of thick cardstock or bookboard and laminated to the case.

I have tried various soft materials to press the book with that will take on the shape that I have laid out in the design to better help press the material or leather with the design... stacks of waste paper, cloth, etc...

I was wondering if anyone knew a better surface to press them against to hold the design. I also tried foam such as is used on floors to ease standing on concrete for long periods of time.. but the structure of the foam didn't lend very well to finer details..

I wonder if anyone has run across some sort of silicone molding pad or such for this process?