[BKARTS] book photography

After trying, unsuccessfully, to get good digital photos of my books using standard lights and homemade back drops I am ready to invest in some decent equipment. I have a decent camera but would appreciate advise on what type of lighting equipment to purchase. Also, how about those fabric boxes that diffuse the light? Do they work? What types of lights are best with them? A couple of hours online reading about equipment has left me confused.
Thanks
Marilyn Worrix
McMinnville, Or