Re: [BKARTS] book photography - Sticks-in-a-can

Marilyn ,

We set up an inexpensive photo studio in the bindery using the "Sticks-in-a-can" method. Here's the video we used as tutorial:

http://www.prophotolife.com/2008/04/12/prophotolife-instructional-video-another-diy-lighting-video-the-mother-of-all-stick-in-a-can-lighting-vids/

We bought everything at home improvement stores and have been very happy with the results. We can photograph on rainy days now!

We use a Canon Digital Rebel camera and edit with Photoshop.

Here you can see photos of our books: http://www.ragandbone.com

Good luck!

Jason

After trying, unsuccessfully, to get good digital photos of my books using standard lights and homemade back drops I am ready to invest in some decent equipment. I have a decent camera but would appreciate advise on what type of lighting equipment to purchase. Also, how about those fabric boxes that diffuse the light? Do they work? What types of lights are best with them? A couple of hours online reading about equipment has left me confused.
Thanks
Marilyn Worrix
McMinnville, Or