[BKARTS] Classes at BookWorks, Asheville

Asheville BookWorks has a whole new line-up of classes this winter! The following classes still have openings. To register for classes, go to www.AshevilleBookWorks.com or call 828-255-8444.

Intermediate Letterpress
Prerequisite: Introduction to Handset Letterpress Printing or equivalent experience or classes in printing
January 12, 19, 26 and February 2, 9, 16
Mondays: 3:00 - 6:30 pm
Instructor: Frank Brannon

$285 + studio fees $25
Limited to six students.
Studio fee covers all inks, solvents and other expendable supplies needed for printing and contributes to the on-going upkeep of the presses and paper cutters.
Register for this workshop
credit card payments
Workshop Attendee(s)
by mail: Download registration form
by phone: 828-255-8444

The goal of this class is to increase participant’s familiarity and comfort levels with regard to letterpress printing. Each student will produce a single signature, pamphlet stitched book using a text and theme of their choosing. We will focus on topics such as letterpress project planning, imposition, printing on dampened paper, multiple run registration and developing participant’s letterpress printing skills. We will also explore printmaking techniques using the Vandercook, including linoleum block cuts and Sandragraphs for illustrative purposes. Participants will have the option to explore photopolymer plate printing as well. The final result of this class will be the completion of a full letterpress printed book project and development of the skills needed to print independently.

Relief Printing: Linocut
January 16 - 18
Friday: 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (1-hour lunch break)
Instructor: Laurie Corral

$255 + studio fees
Materials are included, covered in materials fee.
Register for this workshop
credit card payments
Workshop Attendee(s)
by mail: Download registration form
by phone: 828-255-8444

In this weekend workshop, we will make relief prints using type high linoleum blocks and the Vandercook letterpress. We will learn carving techniques, image transfer, registration, and techniques for relief printing on the Vandercook letterpress. Students will be able to take their blocks home, and we will cover at home (press- free) printing methods. This class is appropriate for all levels – from first time explorers to more experienced printmakers. Our goal will be to create a class exchange portfolio. Each student will leave with an assortment of their own prints and proofs as well as a handmade portfolio that contains work from everyone in the class.

Book Binding: A Primer
January 20, 27 and February 3, 10, 17, 24
Tuesdays: 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Instructor: Annie Fain Liden

$215 + material fee $30

Register for this workshop
credit card payments
Workshop Attendee(s)
by mail: Download registration form
by phone: 828-255-8444

This six session workshop is the perfect opportunity to make books for the first time or to renew a long lost bookmaking past. We will focus on developing a solid foundation in various binding styles, book binding vocabulary, and quality craftsmanship. We will begin with some classics: making a book from a single page, pamphlet and accordion fold book structures. We will move on to ripping a text block by hand, working with the grain of your paper, gluing a bubble-free cover and making accurate measurements without a ruler. Our last sessions will explore the versatile and lovely long-stitch and multi-needle Coptic bindings. Expect to go home with models and hand-outs for each technique, armed and ready to continue your journey into the land of hand-bound books.

Book-A-Day January 26 - 30 Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (1-hour lunch break) Instructor: Dan Essig

$525 + studio fees

Register for this workshop
credit card payments
Workshop Attendee(s)
by mail: Download registration form
by phone: 828-255-8444

Learn to make 5 different book structures over the course of one week.
The emphasis of the class will be low tech, you will need few tools other than the basic bookbinding kit. Starting with an overview on various papers, you will learn to tear precise text blocks and various folded book structures.
The workshop will cover Coptic, longstitch, sewn tapes and variation bindings.

BookWorks
428 1/2 Haywood Road
Asheville, NC  28806
828-255-8444 - studio / gallery