Re: [BKARTS] Documentary about Bookbinders and Book-Artists

Carlos,

And there's:

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/gbw/videotapes.htm

G'luck,

Wayne

D or Jer Guffey wrote:
Carlos Chavez wrote:
Greetings,
I have a documentary program at the New York Public Library and would like to screen a documentary about bookbinders and book-artist. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

In response to this request the following was posted on July 15, 2007 on this list. I have seen the videos and they are most formative. I would suggest contacting Mr. Ellenport to inquire if they are still available:

2 DVDs, which have now been fully edited. Each runs well over an hour. The first is called "Bookbinding at The Harcourt Bindery, 2006." It traces how we bind and decorate a basic cloth and leather book, giving a sense of what the bindery looks like, its array of equipment and machinery, and the techniques we use for the production of our books. The second DVD, "Nineteenth Century Bookbinding Techniques at The Harcourt Bindery," attempts to show how production speed goes hand in hand with producing a quality product. How could 100 or more multi-volume sets, bound in full leather with doublures and silk flys, along with rich spine tooling be done so quickly and so competently as to be profitable and admirable? There is no reason why binders today cannot cover 15-20 full leather bindings in a morning as once was done. This DVD shows some of the production efficiencies used, all of which are still valid today.

Each of the DVDs will be reviewed in the Guild Newsletter. They are priced at $15.00 each + $3.00 for shipping and postage.

To order one or both, please send the relevant amount made payable to:

Sam Ellenport
205 School St.
Belmont, MA 02478

--
If those of us who "can", "do" then those of us who "can't" won't suffer as much from the high prices of excess.