Re: [BKARTS] Alum Tawed goat and sculpting clay

I'm not sure about the alum tawed goat, but most of the art supply stores online as well as stores sell clay that is designed to harden at 200 - 250 degrees over an hour or so in a normal household oven. Sculpty is one of the brand names, as well as several others.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melanie von Gunten" <melanievg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:48 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Alum Tawed goat and sculpting clay

Hello everyone.

I've very much enjoyed the different items that have gone back and forth and everyday I learn something new.

I have 2 items I was wondering if anyone knew about:

First:

I wanted to know if anyone had specificlly worked with Alum Tawed Goat especially from J.Hewitt & Sons Ltd. I hear it is much different to work with. Am interested to know if anyone has success in foiling it at all or any embossing and how it holds.

Second:

I'm curious if anyone knows a source of sculpting clay that can be used over a period of time (i.e. it doesn't just instantly harden in hours or a day or something) but doesn't have to be put in a kiln to harden, in that it could be hardened in some other method.

Thanks in advance.

Melanie

Melanie von Gunten
Bridge Publications