Re: [BKARTS] Alum Tawed goat and sculpting clay

Part of the problem seems to be that there is some out-gassing from the clay body, which deposits on the oven walls. A kitchen oven should not be used for baking the low-fire plastic clays, if it is also used to prepare food. The fumes are there, whether you can smell them or not.

In another life I did a lot of fiberwork and was dying yarns and fleece. The warning was, just as here, to have a second set of pans and equipment for the process, and to do the work (especially when using synthetic dyes!) either outdoors or in a very well-ventilated space. I used a hotplate and set it outside on a deck, where I could check it regularly.

These are your lungs we're talking about, folks. They are supposed to last you three score and ten. Preferably more.

Carol

-------