Re: [BKARTS] Etsy?

Barbara Simler wrote:
I don't think the people on Etsy mean to undermine anyone--many are new to
selling and aren't sure how much to charge. They  really want to get
sales, and think that lower prices are the way to do it. Also, some are
doing it as a hobby and are glad if they can make back the cost of
materials.

Oh absolutely - I didn't mean to suggest that there was any ill-will behind it! I know I have done it myself in the past. Most people just aren't aware of it.

Unfortuanately, (with some exceptions, as Meredith pointed out) it has the
effect of creating a culture of underpricing, and it's really a shame--often
I see really beautiful things on Etsy being sold for the price of cheap,
mass-produced goods, and I wonder how artists can afford to keep doing it.

Yes, that's exactly it. Often, artists just can't afford to keep doing it.

Of course, there's a long tradition of artists being underpaid (or unpaid),
but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. Personally, I'd prefer to be an
overpaid artist :)

I think you have to hit the big time in Hollywood to become an overpaid artist :)