Re: [BKARTS] Etsy?

Hi all,
I have good luck with Etsy, and I will say that I've made a very conscious
effort to put real prices on my work, and not underprice anything.  It's a
lot tougher that way, and hard to compete with some of the pricing, of
course, but I think good work does get sifted out and noticed.

That said, you do have to make a strong effort to promote your shop.  The
best advice I've heard is to treat your Etsy shop like a real store; ie.
keep it fresh and updated and present everything beautifully.  The benefit
of doing that - and the general benefit of using Etsy - is that you can
catch the eyes of the millions of people who look at Etsy every month -
people who often have no idea there's an entire world of handmade books out
there.  While the site has its flaws, I think it's generally very strong,
and also a huge resource. The folks at Etsy are also great about publicly
sharing each month's statistics.  You can see November's statistics here:
http://www.etsy.com/storque/etsy-news/etsy-statistics-november-kicked-off-the-holidays-in-style-3020/

Given all of this, I should note that my own work does tend toward the
album/journal/utilitarian end of things and I'm not sure what the market is
like for more sculptural artists' books, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Just my two cents!
Maggie Campbell

--
Maggie J. Campbell