Re: [BKARTS] Query: Rebacking of a padding binding

Bill's method is definitely worth trying. Here's another that I've used:

If the inner joints are broken, I add overcast cloth joints as per Middleton. Lift the pastedowns. Reglue and line the textblock spine if necessary and add a tube and a spine stiffener. Prepare the rebacking leather as usual. Adhere the leather just to the spine and let dry, then adhere the outside of the new leather sides to the inside of the covering leather along the spine edge and let dry. If you need to press it use a couple of pieces of thick foam between the book and the pressing boards. Do the turnins, lay the new inner joints and pastedowns. Attach the original spine if it was retained.

I've even used this treatment on those Catholic Bibles from the '50s and early '60s with the padded paper covers. That really isn't any fun.

Hope this helps.

Don Rash

William Minter wrote:
David,
I have worked on a number of padded covers. My solution was to first lift the pastedown as in a traditional rebacking and then secure the loose edge of the original covering material to the board. In other words, prepare the front and back covers as if they were plaquettes(sp?). Then a new spine piece was prepared, similar to a Bradel style of binding --- of course the original spine can be reattached later. The new spine piece is then inserted under the original pastedowns, thus the new spine is attached to the inside of the cover board. The result creates a groove that may not have been in the original binding --- a possible change in appearance?
This idea of using a modified Bradel style of binding for rebacking was published in the AIC - Book and Paper Group Annual in 1999 --- see:
http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v18/bp18-09.html

Good Luck,
Bill Minter