From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Incline
Press
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 3:27 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Etsy becomes the Guild System

Really I was more interested in seeing how Etsy could be used, but since the
subject is always broader, I guess I may as well add my pennysworth.

The Guilds historically were supposed to control prices and maintain
standards, which effectively became local cartels that also controlled entry
into the profession. Who now is willing to take on a 14/15/16/year old for a
five or six year apprenticeship? Who is willing to submit their work to a
group of judges who may or may not allow you to continue doing the work you
have decided for yourself that you wish to do - and if they decided your
work wasn't up to scratch, would you quit?

But the Guild System died, and the resuscitation of the late
nineteenth/early twentieth centuries followed a slightly different path.

Now there are various substitutes or equivalents - Designer Bookbinders,
Guild of Bookworkers, Society of Woodengravers, and so forth, who fulfil
some of the ancient functions of the Guilds and are open enough to new
members to be active in. Beyond that, establishing an Industrial Union for
the Book Arts is always a possibility, where the members could establish
price guidelines based on time spent in the work, control 'apprenticeships'
through their own learning programmes, run their own 'fairs' both real and
virtual, and challenge the assumptions of free market capitalism.

Who's ready for that?

Graham Moss
Incline Press
36 Bow Street
Oldham OL1 1SJ  England
http://www.inclinepress.com

PS - We are adding this link to all our emails over the holiday season, for
those who have six minutes to spare:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM