Re: [BKARTS] modern techniques

In terms of binders like Jean de Gonet, I don't think that there is really anything special about the technique, other than that he has adapted them for thoroughly modern and unusual materials. For those that don't know about his work, there are images online via Google at <http://images.google.com/images?q=%22jean%20de%20gonet%22>. Many of them exhibit all the traits of long-stitch, medieval, exposed sewing, laced-on boards, techniques many of us use. What makes his work so compelling is that the materials he uses are by and large commercial grade floor coverings in various rubbers, wall coverings, metal. Those of course can require special adhesives, never mind very creative solutions for working them. Then, of course, there is his amazing sense of design that just exudes French panache... I love it. He is actually online at <http://www.jeandegonet.com/> but the site doesn't show anything, Merde et quel malheur...

In terms of works using modern materials I'd start with the issues of the New Bookbinder and look at the work of binders such as Hedi Kyle, Louise Genest, James Brockman, Daniel Kelm, Tim Ely, Richard Minsky, Don Glaister, Czech binders like Jan Sobota, Daniel Knoderer, Kieth Smith,... Really, anyone who is "out there" in terms of combining funky materials and creating innovative structures. The recent article in The Bonefolder by Monica Langwe Berg on the "Limp bindings from Tallinn" also included many modern interpretations of medieval techniques... The simplified binding as described by Sun Evrard (New Bookbinder) and Laura Wait (Bonefolder), and it's German counterpart the gebrochenerrücken are also very adaptable. Then, just start experimenting with different materials to see what works.

Ultimately, on a very basic level, the techniques are fairly basic, it's the execution and design work of the creators that make it special.

Hope this helps.

Peter

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 7:48 AM, f.wolper <f.wolper@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am looking for instructions or tutorials on modern bookbinding
> techniques, like the technique by Gonet, a cross-structure binding or
> something different, but modern. This could also include modern materials
> like metal, plastic or glass.
>
> Anyone knows where I could find some information about these things??
> I would appreciate any help, thanks
>
> Florian.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC