Re: [BKARTS] Temper Products opinions

[Being forwarded to the list on behalf of Pete Jermann, TeMPeR Productions, <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <http://www.temperproductions.com>]

Regarding the following comment posted on the list concerning the TeMPeR Casing Press and backing boards:

>I don't know about the plough, but in my experience, the press and stand
>are rather light weight for backing and the backing boards supplied have
>plastic edges that will likely break if the backing hammer hits them.

As the person producing the TeMPeR Casing Press with the backing  boards, I would like to clarify any misunderstanding that may arise from the above comment.  The backing boards are indeed edged with plastic.  The plastic is polycarbonate which is an extremely tough plastic.  When I originally worked out the design for the backing boards, I consulted with the local plastics dealer who showed me a piece of polycarbonate that he had attacked with the claw end of a carpenter's hammer.  Though it was dented and marred, it did not break.  Though polycarbonate appears identical to plexiglass, it is not.  It is sold as a substitute for glass and plexiglass where extreme toughness is required, such as in high crime areas where it is used as a replacement for glass where windows are continually broken.  If the backing boards are hit hard enough with a backing hammer they may ding, but the damage is aesthetic and not functional.  I have been selling the backing boards for more than 12 years and have never had one returned for damage.

Regarding the "weight" issues of the backing press: traditional backing presses tend to be very solid and heavy.  My impression of traditional steel and iron backing presses is that they are actually  overbuilt for use in a small shop that works with moderately sized books. Earlier in my career I have rounded and backed thousands of books and never found myself having to hammer with a force that required the resistance of a  500 to 1000 lb press. A more traditional press may be required if you are dealing with very large books which,  as Peter V. points out, my presses are not designed for. The Casing Press is designed for those books most likely encountered in the modern world (less than 9 x 12 x 3 inches) .

Regarding the following comment on the list:

>Last year I purchased a similar press from another outfit. This style press
> does not work it is too light. It does work to press water out of paper, but
> you have to lean it against something to keep it standing.

The Casing Press is  unique and free standing, so I am not sure it can be fairly compared to a similar style press purchased elsewhere.

In closing, I would also like to briefly note that  the Casing Press (with the stand and backing boards)  is something that I actually used fulltime over many years as a bookbinder in a University library.  If anybody has any questions, please feel to ask me either on or off the list.  I would be more than glad to respond.

-

Pete Jermann
TeMPeR Productions
117 South 14th St.