Re: [BKARTS] headbands?

I gave up trying to find domestic fabric to use for replacement cloth endbands. It never looked right.

So, I used to wash the old endband fabric (in plain water, generally), cleaning off all old glue and any lining if any. If the old fiber core was sound, it was washed, too. The dried endband was then lined with a compatible japanese paper (kozo) using a mix of PVA- paste-MC and dried (or mostly dried anyway). The original core was reused and the refurbished cloth was wrapped to make an endband that looked "oldish" but clean and fitting. Sometimes the cloth had to be turned end-end, because the original exposed end was too tattered.

If the original core was cardboard, then I would remake the endband with new board, cut with grain vertical. The old core was almost always trashed, but it makes a dandy pattern.

I NEVER threw away an old endband, even the machine-made embroidered ones. They got washed and cleaned up, too, and if needed, they were also lined with japanese paper, Kozo preferably. A local friend (a bookseller) would save stuff for me from "breaker books" that weren't salable, and I would take these apart to wash, sort, and keep handy. I built up a considerable inventory of this stuff, which I passed along to a colleague when I retired.

If I needed an endband, but didn't have matching fabric, then I used plain unbleached muslin, dyed with tea or coffee or a wash of acrylic ink. Usually these were placed at the tail, where they didn't call attention to themselves. If I needed new cords to fill the rebuilt band, I would resort to some heavy linen weaving warp that was left from another "life". It was sometimes necessary to ply a couple of strands together (overtwisting two lengths by hand, then allowing the cords to wind around one another). The new thicker cord was wiped with PVA to give it a firm finish, then dried under tension.

Most of the books that came to me were 19th century bindings, cloth or leather. Few of them had hand-sewn endbands, but if there had been a hand-embroidered one, then it was duplicated in new materials. If, on rare occasion the original binding was missing or not repairable, then the new endbands were usually made of the new binding material.

I did once or twice have books with green-striped endbands. Obviously, not very common.

Carol P
Eugene, OR
------