Re: [BKARTS] how little? how much?

I can't pretend to fully answer this, since bookbinding is not my day job, but I would like to think that something Mother Theresa once said, when asked how could she even attempt to address all the problems in the area where she lived, might apply even to this. She said "We can do no great things. We can only do small things, with great love."

Perhaps there are few real parallels between preserving the dignity of our friends, the books, and preserving human dignity of an individual or individuals; perhaps we cannot save all the books on the verge of being lost, any more than we can save every threatened life. But perhaps we CAN reach out and do what we can, and in so doing, inspire others to do the same?

Kathy G

Do bookworkers, in particular, those involved in the restoration of books, live in a never-never land, when few institutions possessing rare books can avail themselves of any of our expert services? Are we collaborating with the enemy when we do only a serviceable rebinding of a book? If that is so, it is not clear what the massive accumulated knowledge possessed by the membership of GBW and by those correspondents on this list can significantly accomplish.

‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.’ - Edmund Burke