Re: [BKARTS] Gauze... I'm stupid????

I long ago gave up using the mull (super, tarlatan, crash) that is commonly sold for bookbinding. For me, it is just too flimsy. What I use now is linen needlepoint fabric, the finest weave available (you can get it from JoAnn fabrics.) It is sufficiently stiff that it does not require starching, yet very strong and sufficiently porous that the glue easily penetrates it. (I did starch it for a while, and then found it made no difference.) This I adhere to the spine using hide glue.
Believe me, this makes the sturdiest book conceivable. You could fire it from a cannon, and the spine would remain intact. I recently rebound a book a the history of the civil war (ca 1890) which had fallen into two halves. I placed the two halves together and formed the spine as described above. Worked swell.

Jim Karr wrote:

OK.. Stupid me? What's the difference between say, Gauze you buy for medical use and book binding? They are both 100% cotton, correct? So, can I use the medical (even though it's been sterilized which will make no difference) for supporting the spine of a book?????? I don't see any for sale on Talas... so, uhm... where do I get the book binding kind, and I'm assuming it maybe comes in rolls???

Thanks!

Jim