Re: [BKARTS] Gauze... I'm stupid????

Unbleached muslin is very sturdy - I sew *a lot* and have found it's one of the last cotton fibers to degrade. I made a folk-style unbleached muslin wedding dress with cream cotton lace for a girlfriend about 30 years ago and it's as good as new. There are also cross-stitch on muslin samplers from the 1700s in museums, still in fine shape (tho I've seen them more often in even-weave linen) so that seems to attest to its longevity. On the other hand, a quilt that I made (mostly decorative, seldom used or washed) is starting to really show its age, fraying and such, after 19 years, made from quilters' cotton, degrading most quickly in the solid white areas. Fine cotton broadcloth, even the long-staple kind, has also shattered on me over the span of 40 years. Linen, being a very strong, long- plant-fiber material, holds up very well, of course, as evidenced by old masters' paintings on them. : )

The next time I'm out at JoAnne's I think I'll pick up another yard of muslin and the suggested fine linen needlepoint canvas. : ) Thanks, all!

Kathy G