Re: [BKARTS] Gauze... I'm stupid????

Nope and easy.

Has no one else had this problem?

At the spine, if you REALLY feel the need to have more adhesive, you can brush another LIGHT layer on top, or even paste, and massage in with fingers. I find that if I pull the cloth tight enough to the spine / bone it down, the glue will seep in enough for a strong bond. I'll add another layer of paper the whole length of the spine that also supports the endbands. Resist the temptation to overdo the glue on the spine...

For the endsheets, brush out the entire endsheet, put down muslin/cloth hinge, brush glue onto cloth. Just make sure not to have too much glue in that area. The casing in process, i.e. pressing takes care of the rest.

p.

On the linen vs muslim problem. The problem I have had using muslim for super, and I have tried many varieties from many merchants, is that the high thread count makes the fabric a little impenetrable to glue. Linen needlepoint fabric, with a thread count of 32, doesn't have this problem. In particular, if one is using hide glue on muslim, the glue begins to harden before the fabric is penetrated.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>