[BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

I have worked with methyl cellulose in bookmaking and in
acrylic painting (using it as an additive to the paint)
and haven't had any problems. Recently a
student had a problem with an acrylic varnish taking up some
of the acrylic paint on the surface of her piece-
and said the folks at Golden thought it
could be the methyl cellulose, and also claimed that methyl cellulose
could cause yellowing  over time- that it is acidic.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thank you and happy new year,

Laurie Doctor
http://lauriedoctor.com/