Re: [GBW] [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

I do not have an answer, but I have wondered if there could be any
difficulty of mixing methyl cellulose with acrylics. In fact, I asked
this very question at the recent GBW Standards conference.
The people at Golden certainly should have some comment or suggestion
on this topic, as you have suggested. However, I am surprised to hear
them say that methyl cellulose is acidic. I do not think that that is
true.
On the other hand, there are many of us who are mixing these two
materials/compounds for a variety of end uses. Obviously, there is a
need to determine if there could be a problem. If the manufacturers
of the acrylics do not have an answer, they are probably not going to
do the research unless it becomes a financial problem for them.
Therefore, the concern falls into our lap as the end-user. Since it
is common for book arts people to mix these compounds, someone, at
some level in the book arts community, needs to provide the research
to answer such a question.
Bill Minter