Re: [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

Hiromi Paper sells a methyl cellulose from Lineco that says right on the label:  Acid Free Archival and neutral pH.

In a message dated 01/02/09 17:57:01 US Mountain Standard Time, cathyshunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The way to answer this is to mix up some methyl cellulose with both tap water and with deionized water and check each  mixture with a pH strip. I will try it when I return to school next week (I have pH strips there).

Cathy Hunt

________________________________
From: Laurie Doctor <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 2, 2009 6:14:22 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I also do not think that it is
true that
methyl cellulose is acidic; this may be a question for a chemist.
There are
now many versions of what passes commercially for methyl cellulose, and
this could be a consideration. I am curious about any research on
this subject.
On Jan 2, 2009, at 5:48 PM, William Minter wrote:

> I do not have an answer, but I have wondered if there could be any
> difficulty with mixing methyl cellulose with acrylics. In fact, I
> asked this very question at the recent GBW Standards conference.
> The people at Golden certainly should have some comment or
> suggestion on this topic, as you have suggested. However, I am
> surprised to hear them say that methyl cellulose is acidic. I do
> not think that that is true.
> On the other hand, there are many of us who are mixing these two
> materials/compounds for a variety of end uses. Obviously, there is
> a need to determine if there could be a problem. If the
> manufacturers of the acrylics do not have an answer, they are
> probably not going to do the research unless it becomes a financial
> problem for them. Therefore, the concern falls into our lap as the
> end-user. Since it is common for book arts people to mix these
> compounds, someone, at some level in the book arts community, needs
> to provide the research to answer such a question.
> Bill Minter
>

> On Dec 30, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Laurie Doctor wrote:
>
>> I have worked with methyl cellulose in bookmaking and in acrylic
>> painting (using it as an additive to the paint) and haven't had
>> any problems. Recently a student had a problem with an acrylic
>> varnish taking up some of the acrylic paint on the surface of her
>> piece and said the folks at Golden thought it could be the methyl
>> cellulose, and also claimed that methyl cellulose could cause
>> yellowing  over time -- that it is acidic.
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> ******************************
>
> William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc.
> 4364 Woodbury Pike
> Woodbury, PA  16695
> 814-793-4020
> Fax:   814-793-4045
> Email:    wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.

Laurie Doctor
www.lauriedoctor.com
502.292.2148
8116 Wolf Pen Branch Rd