Re: [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

So you really have to do your research and not assume anything, especially advertising claims! I see....

Thanks, Peter!

Kathy

On Jan 3, 2009, at 8:18 AM, Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

As past archival product manager at a major supplier to the field I can say that "Acid Free" and "Archival" are buzz words meant to instill feelings of security in the purchaser. This by no means is dishonest on their part, but not always relevant. An example... acid free sleeves for photos. The problem was PVC sleeves that off- gassed chlorine. Acid free as a descriptor for Mylar (an alternative to PVC) is irrelevant, inert would be more appropriate but that's a hard term for folks to understand... Paper turns yellow, but that's more a factor of lignin (especially in non-rag papers) than acidity. I've seen beautifully creamy white paper with a pH around 4...