Re: [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

Yes, but you also have understand why claims are made and the nuances behind them such as the properties of the materials themselves and how they may interact with other things. Reality is we are (and that includes the large archival vendors) are a TINY market for the paper mills and providers of other materials such as cloth, films, adhesives, even some leathers. We often will find something that works for whatever reason and use it, regardless of what it was originally made for.

In addition to chemical stability there is also the soundness of craft... It cracks me up to see "archival" journals/books that are put together like c**p and are destined to fall apart quickly. Where's the archival in that? Then there are claims for media like CDs that say 100 years... Anyone going to know what a CD was is a 100 years? What about the hardware/software to playback... It never ends...

p.

So you really have to do your research and not assume anything,
especially advertising claims! I see....

Thanks, Peter!

Kathy

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC