Re: [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

Using a pH meter titrated against a buffer solution of monobasic sodium phosphate ( pH = 7.0), I tested the pH of a 10% methylcellulose solution. It is pH neutral (pH = 7.01)
Another observation: we all work with adhesives whose long term stability we know absolutely nothing about, since their compositions are proprietary secrets. I suspect that most PVA confections were more than just PVA when I noticed that my Brodart's PVA never grew mold. Not only that, when added to make a 50-50 batch with wheat starch, the mixture never got moldy either (as opposed to pure wheat starch adhesive, which gets moldy rapidly.) Therefore, I reasoned, the manufacturers of the PVA had added an anti-fungal agent to it. My inquiries about the nature of that additive were rebuffed. To add to Peter's observations about the cr**iness of the paper archival journals are printed on (ironic indeed): all mechanically pulped paper is cr**. Chemically pulped paper (substantially more nearly lignin free) is much more expensive and getting rarer, and rag paper is virtually nonexistent. It amuses me when people want me to put nice covers made with archival materials on paperback books whose paper has already begun to brown.

Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

Yes, but you also have understand why claims are made and the nuances behind them such as the properties of the materials themselves and how they may interact with other things. Reality is we are (and that includes the large archival vendors) are a TINY market for the paper mills and providers of other materials such as cloth, films, adhesives, even some leathers. We often will find something that works for whatever reason and use it, regardless of what it was originally made for.

In addition to chemical stability there is also the soundness of craft... It cracks me up to see "archival" journals/books that are put together like c**p and are destined to fall apart quickly. Where's the archival in that? Then there are claims for media like CDs that say 100 years... Anyone going to know what a CD was is a 100 years? What about the hardware/software to playback... It never ends...

p.

So you really have to do your research and not assume anything,
especially advertising claims! I see....

Thanks, Peter!

Kathy

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC