Re: [GBW] [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

 Please disregard all of the? ? marks throughout my response...they were not in my original copy...hmmmm
cm

-----Original Message-----
From: pastepaper@xxxxxxx
To: gbw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 8:39 am
Subject: Re: [GBW] [BKARTS] Questions about methyl cellulose

 Being a long time user of Golden Artist Colors and methyl cellulose, I have
several comments.?

My experience is that the high quality MC that we purchase at our various
bookbinding suppliers is not acidic.? I have checked this repeatedly over the
years.? MC from home centers and paint stores is likely another matter and would
certainly not be of as high a quality as we are used to.? I also know from my
teaching experience that students will cut costs and will generally purchase
less expensive materials if available.? They will also push the envelope and
perhaps mix a higher percentage of MC to Acrylic than I would recommend.? MC can
perform the same type of transparency that many of the Golden mediums can
provide. It does not provide the same elastic quality and permanence that an
acrylic medium would.

For a mix of acrylic and mc to adhere to my paste papers I recommend at least a
50% mix of acrylic to paste of any kind.? If you want transparency of color you
can use less paint but would need to substitute some sort of acrylic medium to
accomplish a miniumum of 50 % acrylic.

This recommendation is a result of some issues I had experienced over 20 years
ago.? At the time I had just opened a new carton of Mohawk Superfine, a new
shipment of MC, and opened new jars of paint for a job for Campbell Logan
Bindery.? Much to my chagrin the base color I applied wiped right off the paper!
As it turned out the source of the MC was part of the issue.?? My water source
in Schodack Landing was also suspect.? I now only use distilled water when
mixing MC.

I also need to note that Elaine Haas at Talas,? Golden Artist Colors research
team, and Scott Petrquin at Mohawk Mills all were extremely helpful in my quest
to solve the problems.

Hope this is helpful!

Claire Maziarczyk