Re: [BKARTS] Question re "liquid gloves"

Now, I've come across that before, and that's the thing that amuses me
-- I do whitework (tatting, crochet, bobbin lace, etc.), and also
spent some time as a substitute teacher in a school that has Purell
dispensers everywhere, but very few opportunities to wash hands (even
in the bathroom -- you can *sanitize* your hands, but not actually
remove anything with soap, which struck me as rather gross).  I found
that post-Purell work would yellow much faster than my standard
post-soap work, so, in addition to the obvious fact that Purell
removes nothing (just kills germs -- and we're not concerned about the
books catching communicable disease?), I'm rather suspicious of the
statement that it leaves no residue.  The Purell website claims that
it leaves no *sticky* residue, but not that it leaves no residue at
all... Even the basic formula (not the ones with fancy scents or
lotions or aloe) includes glycerin and fragrance, as well as
tocopheryl acetate (a form of every conservator's enemy, acetic
acid!), which are all things being added to the skin in addition to
whatever dirt and grease you're disinfecting-but-not-removing... I'd
be interested if anyone's actually done any studies on it, though!

--Marguerite Radhakrishnan