[BKARTS] sewing

I'm working on a sewn binding- new at this- the instructions say to have the thread = 1.5x the length of the spine x number of sections. As this book will have 25 sections, and the spine is 8 inches- that's a lot of thread- about 25 feet. I tried to do it with enough for five sections- but the thread kept getting knotted and tangled. Suggestions please. I live in a rural area and have no access to a bookbinding class. I plan to order some DVD's when i get some cash.

thanks,

Freda