Re: [BKARTS] sewing

Freda, you don't need 1.5 x the spine for each section. With 25 sections 20 feet is probably adequate, or start with a manageable length and tie on as needded, tying the knot insude a siection. George Baker
----- Original Message ----- From: <tudorpot@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 8:10 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] sewing

I'm working on a sewn binding- new at this- the instructions say to
have the thread = 1.5x the length of the spine x number of sections.
As this book will have 25 sections, and the spine is 8 inches- that's
a lot of thread- about 25 feet. I tried to do it with enough for five
sections- but the thread kept getting knotted and tangled.
Suggestions please. I live in a rural area and have no access to a
bookbinding class. I plan to order some DVD's when i get some cash.

thanks,

Freda