Re: [BKARTS] sewing

You are trying to sew with too long a thread! Look up on the archives or in a book or on the internet somewhere how to make the "weaver's knot." This clever knot is just what it says--designed by weavers to add thread along the way. It takes up very little space and is a very tight, secure knot. This will allow you to add thread as you go along. When you have to add more thread, be sure to place the weaver's knot outside the spine between sewing stations, and stagger any knots so that you don't get a bunch of bumps on the spine. Flatten the knots and their tails with a bone folder.

Waxing the thread also helps to keep it from tangling. Bees' wax is traditional.

Good luck!

Signa Houghteling

tudorpot@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm working on a sewn binding- new at this- the instructions say to have the thread = 1.5x the length of the spine x number of sections. As this book will have 25 sections, and the spine is 8 inches- that's a lot of thread- about 25 feet. I tried to do it with enough for five sections- but the thread kept getting knotted and tangled. Suggestions please. I live in a rural area and have no access to a bookbinding class. I plan to order some DVD's when i get some cash.

thanks,

Freda