Re: [BKARTS] BOOKS ABOUT BOOKS-Fiction

"Memory house" by Lucia Graves:

Spring 1492. Alba de Porta lives contentedly in a large old house in the
Jewish quarter of Girona, on the NE coast of Spain, with her mother Regina.
Alba's father died shortly after her birth and she was brought up by her
grandfather, Rabbi Ismael de Porta, an enlightened man and a Kabbalist, who
instilled in her the rudiments of Jewish mystical thought. News comes that
the Catholic Monarchs have decreed the expulsion of all Jews from their
kingdoms, unless they embrace the Catholic faith. This shatters Alba's
universe, but, urged by the memory of her late grandfather, she decides to
emigrate with her family.

Alba must now part from her great love, Vidal Rubén, who has converted to
Catholicism in order to remain in Spain; under a blazing July sun, she
begins the sorrowful journey of exile to the unknown. But amongst the few
household possessions she is permitted to transport out of the country, Alba
also carries an invisible treasure which nobody can take from her: an
important religious text, discovered under the tiles of the Girona
synagogue, which is crucial for the preservation of the Jewish mystical
tradition. Rabbi Astruc of Besalú, who found the hidden book, has asked Alba
to memorise it in order to ensure its safe exit from Spain.

She uses the architecture of her family home as a memorising aid to retain
the words of the book in her mind; thus, when she leaves, she also takes
with her the house of her ancestors and its entire contents on what proves
to be an eventful and difficult journey, crossing the Pyrenees into Southern
France, then travelling on to Italy and finally reaching the Ottoman Empire.

The memorised book plays a fundamental role in Alba's story: it guides her
through the labyrinth of life, love and death and at the end of the journey
is the key that will open the door of her past and reveal an unexpected
secret.

--
Xavi