Re: [BKARTS] BOOKS ABOUT BOOKS-Fiction

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned  Brenda Starling's _The Journal of Dora Damage_ (Bloomsbury, 2008), 445 pages, ISBN 978-0-7475-9325-6 (may also be available in a U.S. edition). An unexpectedly engaging page-turner, surprisingly authentic (in the bookbinding respects anyway!)  about a woman in 1860s London who in desperation but with considerable talent continues her husband's bindery when he dies and is drawn into creating design bindings on pornographic books for the wealthy, powerful members of a "club."  It is difficult to resist revealing the closing scenes; but I'll forbear!

Sid Huttner, The University of Iowa Libraries
sid-huttner@xxxxxxxxx