Re: [BKARTS] sewing

It shouldn't make any difference.

A helix (the shape of the strands within the thread) is identical from either end, and so is a superhelix (the shape of the individual fibres).

All that could possibly make any difference is the way the fibres are combed/aligned by the original spinning process, but every time the strand is retwisted at the spinning mill it will reverse end-for-end so I doubt that there would be any consistent direction anyway. Same goes for re-winding the finished thread from the master spools on which it is made onto the smaller spools that are available for sale.

I would personally tend to try to thread the freshly-cut end, since it would not have had any opportunity to become frayed.

There might however be some effect due to the way one habitually pulls the thread from the spool, but that would depend on every motion you make as you unwind and cut the thread, thread the needle, and tie off the far end of the thread.
-Kevin Martin
 the Papertrail