From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Audrey
Hollinger
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 5:43 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] sewing

It shouldn't make any difference.

A helix (the shape of the strands within the thread) is identical from
either end, and so is a superhelix (the shape of the individual fibres).

All that could possibly make any difference is the way the fibres are
combed/aligned by the original spinning process, but every time the strand
is retwisted at the spinning mill it will reverse end-for-end so I doubt
that there would be any consistent direction anyway. Same goes for
re-winding the finished thread from the master spools on which it is made
onto the smaller spools that are available for sale.

I would personally tend to try to thread the freshly-cut end, since it would
not have had any opportunity to become frayed.

There might however be some effect due to the way one habitually pulls the
thread from the spool, but that would depend on every motion you make as you
unwind and cut the thread, thread the needle, and tie off the far end of the
thread.
-Kevin Martin
 the Papertrail

Lavinia Adler

> There's a rule about which end of the thread to pass through
> the needle's eye in order to keep kinking at a minimum.
> Trouble is I can't remember whether you're supposed to thread
> the end that you just cut or the end that had been cut the
> last time. When I read about this years ago I did try it and
> found there was quite a difference in how much the thread twisted.
>
> Perhaps someone on the list knows which end to thread? Or
> experiment yourself.
>
> Lavinia

> FAQ and Archive.

6:01 PM