Re: [BKARTS] sewing

I have to agree with Kevin, and based on my experience in another life as a sometime spinner and a weaver, I'm aware always of the twist of the thread. In a plied thread this is almost always "Z- twist", which means that the ply spirals to the right. It doesn't matter which end you look at; it will spiral in the same direction.

As a right-hander I noticed that I rapidly over-twisted the thread as I sewed, which gave me knots and snarls, whether I waxed or not. As the needle is pulled through the hole, my fingers seem to give it a slight roll to the right, which tightens the twist. After 6 or 8 holes, there is so much over-twisting, that I had to stop to get everything "undone".

So—now I consciously give the needle a very small rotation IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, i.e. to the left, each time I draw it through the sewing hole. Most of the time I have very little problem with knotting, and I rarely ever wax now. I use roughly two yards of linen thread per needle-full.

The matter of threading the freshly-cut end is something that I also do. It IS usually easier to thread, being less worn, and it does seem to knot up less quickly... but not always. This could have something to do with the tension-memory of the spool or with how much tension the thread was under when the ply was set.

Carol
Eugene, OR

----