Re: [BKARTS] Secretary of Arts Petition

Useful, how? You seem to be saying that a "Secretary for the Arts" would be able to bring in the bacon for artists like yourself, the way the Secretary of the Treasury brings in money for Wall Street speculators. I'm still waiting for a convincing case that direct Government handouts to artists like yourself (or handouts to Wall Street speculators for that matter), are necessary to sustain the Economy as a whole, and if so, I'd like to hear in what way direct Government involvement would offer a substantial improvement over "the system" as it is now. Not to mention some kind of discussion of the possible drawbacks of Government involvement, political, economic or aesthetic.

There are, obviously, other angles to this issue; and if I raise this one in particular it's because the petition I am asked to sign does not bother to give one single reason why I should sign it; It does, however, run alongside a paid banner add telling me how I can get free money from the Government. Is that the breadth and depth of the argument?

Paul Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe