Re: [BKARTS] Secretary of Arts Petition

Dear Rebecca:

Actually, I have Taylor's book on my desk right now, and guess what? *There was no Secretary for the Arts under Roosevelt.*  In fact the whole idea would have been totally preposterous since a WPA job was a form of entitlement for workers that happened to be extended (at the last minute) to artists as workers. So tell me how a Secretary for the Arts would democratize the Government's support of people who work in the arts, as opposed to doing the reverse?

Paul Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe